Disorderly conduct -My 1sr offense

UPDATED: Aug 13, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 13, 2017Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Disorderly conduct -My 1sr offense

Hello I was charged with disorderly conduct
and this is my very first time I’ve ever dealt with
the police so this my first offense..is there a
possibly that I can face jail time if I plead guilty

Asked on August 13, 2017 under Criminal Law, Colorado


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

In CO, there are 3 ways that you can be charged with disorderly conduct. If it was as a petty offenses (e.g. you made an offensive gesture or utterance, etc.) the offense is punishable by up to a $500 fine and 6 months in jail, although typically it carries no actual jail time. If you were charged with a Class 3 misdemeanor (i.e. fighting in public), that is punishable by $50 fine and up to 6 months in jail, however for a first offense you stand a good chance of no jail time. If you were charged with a Class 2 misdemeanor (i.e. a weapon was involved), that is punishable by 3 months to 1 year in jail and fines from $250 to $1,000. For the this latter offense, jail time is often given, depending upon the circumstances. If you are innocent and you feel that your actions were misinterpreted by the police or if you let a situation get out of hand and showed bad judgment, a criminal defense attorney can possibly get the charged dismissed or at least reduced. The sooner you legal representation the better as they can best minimize the damage. Also, since this is a first offense, you may be eligible for something called "diversion", which would leave you with a clean criminal history record. At this oint, you should consult directly with a local defense lawyer who can best advise you further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption