discrimination and harastment

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

discrimination and harastment

I start working for this company 2 months ago. I was let go from my job because I
am not a good fit for the company. The supervisor repeatedly accuse me about my
accent. She interviewed me first time by herself and the second time she was
together with the COO and they did’t have any problem with my accent.
What can I do?

Asked on May 25, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You cannot be discriminated against in employment due to national origin, so if your accent is due to your national origin, you may have a claim for illegal employment discrimination. You also cannot be discriminated against because of a disabiltiy, so if the accent is actually a speech impediment, you may again have an employment discrimination claim.
However, there are situations where you *can* legally be fired due to an accent. For example, if you are in a job where you you must interface with english speaking clients or customers and your accent is so thick/heavy as to impede you from communicating with them, for example, then terminating you due to it would be legal. So to summarize: discrimination based on national origin or disability, even if ostensibly based on "accent," is illegal, unless they can show that the accent demonstrably and significantly affects job performance. If you think you have been discriminated against, contact the federal EEOC or your state's equal/civil righs agency to file a complaint. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption