What charges can be filed for riding a dirtbike on a public road and fleeing the scene?

UPDATED: Oct 18, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 18, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What charges can be filed for riding a dirtbike on a public road and fleeing the scene?

My son is 12 and was riding his dirtbike with a friend. Supposedly a police officer saw them on the rodeway to get to the dirt area. He chased them and got the one boy; my son got scared and got away.He has never in any trouble. Please tell me what charges can be issused against him. The officer came to the house to speak with him but my son was at cc practice at the time. The officer now wants me to take my son to the police station so that the officer can speak with him. Can they impound his bike? And what would be the charg(s)?

Asked on October 18, 2010 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

I would consult with an attorney in your are on the matter and I would not go down to the police station unless your son had you and counsel present.   If your son violated the law by being on the roadway with the dirt bike it would couldjust have been a fine imposed.  The fleeing the scene and what could be seen as evading arrest is what has me concerned.  Police officers do not like it when anyone does that and it is against the law to flee from the police.  Period.  Even if the police are wrong in pulling you over you still have to cooperate. Period.  So get you son some help here and get some advice from an attorney in your area.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption