Direct deposit

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Direct deposit

My job deposited 2 checks into my
checking account and I was under the
impression they were both my checks
for the 2 weeks I worked. I just started
this job and I have only worked there
for those 2 weeks. They informed me
that one of the deposits was someone
else’s money which was accidentally
deposited into my account but hours
before they informed me of that i
already had withdrawn the money. I
need help as to what to do because I
don’t believe I should have to pay for
that mistake. What do I do in this

Asked on July 21, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

An employee is legally liable to repay for an accidental overpayment made by their employer. The fact is that if a worker does not earn the money received, the law will not allow them to enjoy an "unjust enrichment". And this makes sense. For instance, if you were accidentally underpaid, your employer would be responsible to make up any short fall in wages. Perhaps, you can re-pay in installments.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption