Didn’t receive my last pay check

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Didn’t receive my last pay check

I was working for this restaurant the business wasn’t
doing good so the owner just tell us we shutting
down today with no warning, and now he doesn’t
want to pay his employers because he doesn’t have
the money in the account, but he owns 4 other

Asked on July 9, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Kentucky


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Legally, you are owed the money. If the business were *not* an LLC or corporation, you can sue the owner personally (e.g. in small claims court, acting as your own attorney) for the money; but unfortunately, if the business was an LLC or corporation, the owner is not personally liable--you can only sue the business itself (an LLC or corporation shields the owners and managers, and other businesses owned by them, from liability)--which may mean, if the business has been shut down and has no money, that you cannot collect.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption