Did the bank wrongfully give up my money in a bank garnishment?

UPDATED: Oct 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 17, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Did the bank wrongfully give up my money in a bank garnishment?

My husband and I share a joint checking account and he has a separate savings account in his name only. When we were notified of the collections hitting our checking account I called the bank who told me my husbands money was exempt since it was from social security directly deposited and in a separate account. We recently found out they let collections have the money months ago and we were not notified because they had the wrong address and the notification was returned. They do have our address because other stuff comes from them including 2 notices of bank garnishment. Can we get it back?

Asked on October 17, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Oregon


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If there is a judgment against either you or your husband or both and the judgment creditor ends up levying upon your bank account, you were required to receive notice from the bank about the levy through the levying officer (the sheriff in most likelihood) about the levy so that you could file a claim of exemption and contest it.

Most likely it was the sheriff that failed to give you notice of what transpired. What you should do is contact the judgment creditor about the amount you owe and try and work out an agreement as to the amount owed and a monthly installment payment in writing signed by you and a representative for the judgment creditor.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption