Did I commit the crime “Breach of Trust”?

UPDATED: Jun 2, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Did I commit the crime “Breach of Trust”?

My mother had durable power of attorney over her mother (my Grandmother). My Grandmother received an insurance check for $2,780 to fix her roof. My Grandmother did not want her daughter Susan (my mother) to have any knowledge of the check much less any money. As she was suspicious why she never had any disposable cash left over. My Grandmother upon receiving the check had no I.D to cash the check so I signed for her to get the moneys. The moneys were then placed in my Grandmothers possession. My mother found out that I had signed for her to cash her own check and charged me with breach of trust! My mother no longer has Power of Attorney . We the family has discovered she has been paying her bills and keeping the rest! For the month of May she kept $600! Was this criminal on my part? Be advised…This rabbit hole runs much deeper! She also had the deed placed in her name prior to her power of attorney! She has her claws in everything she has!

Asked on June 2, 2009 under Criminal Law, South Carolina


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

The "rabbit hole" always runs much deeper in cases like this, and I'm sure more and more will come to light, as you look into this.

Unless that power of attorney was exclusive, which is extremely unusual, your grandmother still had the right to act for herself, in addition to allowing your mother to do that.  So it doesn't sound to me like you committed any crime at all; if you are actually being charged with this, you should see a qualified criminal defense attorney in your area.

More importantly, you and the rest of the family need to see an elder law attorney, for your grandmother, as soon as possible.  A power of attorney is not a license to take the person's money for your own use, as you have said your mother has been doing.  It may well be possible to force your mother to give it all back, and to take her name off the deed, depending on the facts that you can prove and the laws of your state.  One place to find qualified lawyers, for your grandmother and for your own criminal charges if any, is our website, http://attorneypages.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption