What to do if I’ve been denied a disability claim due to an allegedpre-existing injury?

UPDATED: Feb 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I’ve been denied a disability claim due to an allegedpre-existing injury?

I had an accident about 20-30 years ago but I was cleared and there was no continuing issue from the accident. I’ve been able to work all these years fine without handicap. Then I had an accident at work to the same body part. How they found record I do not know, especially because of HIPPA. Now theey are saying that my condition it is due to a pre-existing injury. Is there anything I can do to fight back? Clearly if I’ve been fine working for 30 years I cannot see how they’d use that to deny disability benefits.

Asked on February 19, 2012 under Personal Injury, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You can appeal the denial, and/or bring a lawsuit seeking a declaration that you are entitled to benefits. In your appeal or legal action, you would present evidence showing that the pre-existing injury did not, in fact, cause the disability. The fact that you had an injury to a certain body part is, by itself, not necessarly relevant; you may be entitled to compensation or benefits for whatever loss of function (i.e. whatever disability) was caused by the recent accident. In fact, even if there was some previous loss of function, you should be able to collect for any increase in disability arising from the new accident.

You should retain an attorney to help you pursue compensation; a lawyer will know how best to try to vindicate your rights.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption