Denied changing status for medical reason

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Denied changing status for medical reason

I am a full time employee and recently have
had some medical issues. My doctors feel that
I need to cut back my hours in order to try and
improve my health. I have requested my
employer for a change of status from full time
to part time along with a medical letter.
Can they deny me the change of status?

Asked on October 23, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, they can refuse to do this. An employer must make a "reasonable accommodation" to an employee's medical condition or disability. A reasonable accommodation is one that lets the employee do his or her full job. Limiting or reducing the employee's hours is not considered a reasonable accommodation because 1) it is, by definition, not helping the employee do his/her full job (it is rather reducing the job); and 2) it can be excessively or unreasonably expensive for the employer, who may have to hire someone else or pay overtime to another employee to make up for the reduction in hours. So yes--the employer may deny you this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption