Deed in lue

UPDATED: May 13, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 13, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Deed in lue

I was trying to do a deed in lue and the mortgage company advised me it was not an option available to me. By one person – I was told it was a claus that the investor had. I called back after doing some research and was told that the rep should have not told me that. And that deed in lue was not an option but would not explain why. Can they do that?

Asked on May 13, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Florida


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

First, it is "deed in lieu".  Yes, some loans don't offer that option.  In other words, the investor doesn't have to accept a deed in lieu and doesn't have to modify your loan, either.   So, what you need to do is the following:

1. Try the Florida Division of Financial Institutions, Office of Financial Regulation and file a consumer complaint against your servicer and lender to see if anything can be done.

2. If #1 doesn't help within 45 days or so, call a lawyer.  Try and check his or record at the Florida State Bar.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption