What to do about debts in my wife’s name?

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about debts in my wife’s name?

My wife has 2 credit cards ($2500 total owed). She has since had a major stroke and is in a nursing home so Social Security is going to them; no longer coming incoming in. Is she still liable to pay these? Am I liable to pay them? I am not on the applications at all. How should I handle this situation?

Asked on August 1, 2011 Kansas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to write the two credit card companies about your wife's health situatuin keeping a copy of the letter for future reference. You need to ask for a payment plan to pay off the $2,500.00 total owed by your wife.

Potentially under the laws of your state, since you are married to your wife and if she incurred this debt while married to you, under community property laws of your state you could be very well responsible for paying off this $2,500.00 amount even though the debts are in your wife's name, not yours.

Since your wife applied for these credit cards, she is liable to pay them even though she is in a nursing home,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption