What to do if a debt collection company won’t provide proof or statements of debts?

UPDATED: Aug 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a debt collection company won’t provide proof or statements of debts?

The debt I have is from a bail bonds that went to collections 5 years ago. They won’t send me any proof of exactly what I owe. I have my copies but should I send them to them? It sounds like they don’t have any proof.

Asked on August 2, 2011 California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If the debt collection company refuses to provide you with an accounting as to the unpaid debt that it claims it owes, potentially its failure may be an unfair debt collection practice in your state. You should write the debt collection company a letter asking for a written accounting of what it claims you owe and that it be provided to you by a certain date. Keep a copy of the letter for future reference.

If not provided by the requested date, send another letter to it with documentation showing what you have paid down requiring a written response by a certain date as to the agreed upon principal amount owed mentioning its obligation to provide you in writing what is owed and if not provided, you will take appropriate action for its failure. Keep a copy of this letter.

I suspect you will get a written response in a short time to this letter.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption