How best to deal with a debt collection matter?

UPDATED: Nov 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How best to deal with a debt collection matter?

I received a call from a debt collection about a past bill I thought was paid. I asked for details in writing. I received the statement less than a week ago. Today the collection agency put a hold on all my funds from the bank. I have tried to talk to the agent but he is so rude and argumentative. I wanted to eliminate the verbal communications but now they are telling me that my money will be froze for a couple of weeks. Is this legal? There is a court order from 3 years ago that I knew nothing about. I don’t know what to do.

Asked on November 3, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written, it sounds as though there is a legal judgment against you since your bank account has a hold on it. I suggest that you go down to the court house where the court order from 3 years ago you write about is located and carefully review the file so you understand your current predicament fully.

If there is a judgment against you and the debt collection company is seeking to collect on it by grabbing your bank account, it can do so. I suggest that you consult with a debt collection attorney about your situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption