UPDATED: May 18, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 18, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption


I live in ct and want to know if I have to disclose all debt if I file for divorce. I have credit card dept that I will pay off once the house is sold and don’t want him to know about it. Is this legal?

Asked on May 18, 2009 under Family Law, Connecticut


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

In CT you are required to file a financial affidavit.  Moreover, if you are both represented by attorney's they are going to ask that you produce all credit card statements and so forth that you were entitled to use during the marriage.  If you conceal this information, you could get in trouble and/or lose credibility for not disclosing if it is discovered.  Not disclosing it can only hurt you, not help you.  I suggest disclosing it to your lawyer and deciding the best way to deal with it as i would need to know more about the divorce (i.e. assets, kids involved) to determine how contested it will be.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption