What can be done of the terms of a Will are not followed?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can be done of the terms of a Will are not followed?

A father died and left the oldest son as executor of the estate, 60 acres and a home. He was widowed but remarried. It was stated in his Will that the land be divided between the 3 siblings; the wife retained his life insurance policy and could live in the home until death or remarried. Since then, she has placed the land in her name and has put everything up for sale. She has not asked the 3 kids for their permission to do this. Plus, they do not know what she has in mind to do with the money obtained by the sale. What can they do? The eldset son was never given a copy of the Will.

Asked on October 11, 2018 under Estate Planning, Louisiana


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The beneficiaries (siblings) can sue the father's wife for conversion which is theft in a civil case. The remedy the siblings should seek in the lawsuit is a constructive trust which will require the wife to return the stolen items or their proceeds to the father's estate. The lawsuit should also seek a declaratory judgment as to what the beneficiaries should inherit in order to prevent further theft by the wife.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption