If I’m a full-time graduate student, what can I do if I forgot to extend my I-20?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m a full-time graduate student, what can I do if I forgot to extend my I-20?

I only have 3 hours left to graduate. I forgot to extend my I-20 and it expired about a month ago. Now my school gave me a new I-20 under a new SEVIS. I am not taking any semester off. I am going to my home country with the new I-20 and coming back on next week to start the Spring semester. I do have a valid US F-1 student visa. Do I have to apply for a new VISA or I just have to pay the new SEVIS fees.

Asked on January 7, 2016 under Immigration Law, Texas


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You need to speak with the foreign student advisor's office at your school so that you can find out what you need to do to be able to return to school for the spring semester.  The visa itself is not sufficient without a valid I-20.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption