What to do if I damaged a car and a golf cart while in the parking lot of a golf course?

UPDATED: Aug 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I damaged a car and a golf cart while in the parking lot of a golf course?

Based on police officer recomendation to all involved (myself who casued the damage, and others who I would be repaying based on the the damages), I was told to assume responsibility and pay for damages, after estimates are completed for damages to the car and golf cart. What should I do to cover myself from paying for damages that were not my fault and once paid how can I ensure that the golf course and person who owns car cannot come after me for further damages?

Asked on August 20, 2012 under Accident Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You don't have to agree to pay for any damages that you feel are not your fault or where you feel the other party is trying to get you to pay an excessive amount. If you refuse to pay, the other party could try to sue you; in the lawsuit, that party would have to prove your fault and the extent or cost of the damages to prevail, and you could present your own evidence to the contrary.

If you do work out a mutually agreeable settlement with anyone, to pay for damages, don't pay until they sign a release, which release should state that in exchange for the payment (and specify what it is), that party is giving up any/all other claims or causes of action against you.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption