What to do regarding damage to my vehicle in private parking lot?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do regarding damage to my vehicle in private parking lot?

I was parking in a spot with a concrete barrier. Unbeknownst to me, the barrier had a rebar post sticking out out it. approximate 2 to 3 inches. When I went to back up it caught the bottom lip of my bumper, causing it to pull off. What I need to know is whether or not the liability is mine or if I seek out property owners for some responsibility?

Asked on March 6, 2019 under Accident Law, Oklahoma


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The property owners may well be liable, since having rebar sticking out of a barrier is an unreasonably dangerous condition, violating property owners' obligation to prevent dangerous conditions; and since it would be hard to see, you would not have been negligent or careless in hitting it. If you sue whomever is responsible for the parking lot, you will have a reasonable chance of winning.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption