If damage was caused by rod sticking up out of a cement bumper in a parking lot, who is responsible?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If damage was caused by rod sticking up out of a cement bumper in a parking lot, who is responsible?

I pulled into a parking space and did not see that a metal rod was sticking up out

of cement bumper. When backing up it caught my bumper and put a split in it

and pulled part of my bumper off. Who is liable?

Asked on July 3, 2018 under Accident Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The parking lot's owner may well be liable IF the following are true:
1) Either somone previously reported the issue to them, or they visit/inspect/have staff at the location often enough that it is reasonably likely that they would have become aware of the rod--that is, they need knoweldge of the issue; and also
2) They had sufficient time since they become aware of the problem to have reasonably taken steps to correct or fix it. (If there was insufficient time, they did nothing wrong in not getting it repaired.)
Only if both factors above are true--and can, at need, be prove in court, would they be liable.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption