Dad died intestate in Texas in November. What documents are needed?

UPDATED: Jun 30, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 30, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Dad died intestate in Texas in November. What documents are needed?

Daddy had no outstanding debts. He owned a small property in Texas (his homestead on 4 1/3 acres). My sister, my two nephews (my brother pre-deceased Daddy), and I are the only heirs, and we are in agreement as to how to split things up. We are selling the property to my deceased brother’s wife. I used to type docs for an attorney, so want to do it myself if I can. What documents are needed, please? Probate as well as sale of property.

Asked on June 30, 2009 under Estate Planning, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I am not admitted in Texas and I strongly urge you to get a lawyer to help you with all this, even if only on a consultation basis.  You are going to need to have someone appointed as fiduciary of your Father's estate in order to transfer the house.  For the Probate forms here is a site to look at:  In New York you would use an Executor's Deed to transfer from the Estate to the new owner but how the property was held will make a difference on transfer.  You will need your Father's Death Certificate as well and possbly your Brothers.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption