UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption


I am a UPS driver; worked there for 24 years full-time and 7 years part-time. Due to health issues, I had to have 6 stents and a ICD defibrillator place in my heart. Therefore, as per to DOT regulation, I am no longer able to drive for UPS. Do they have to find me a inside job or can they terminate me?

Asked on November 22, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, they do not need to find you an inside job (but of course are welcome to do so). An employer's obligation to make "reasonable accommodations" to an employee's medical condition(s) means taking "reasonable" (not too expensive or disruptive) steps to allow the employee to do the *same job that he/she had*. Examples include letting employees with IBS take more frequent bathroom breaks; letting a cashier who normally stands have a chair or stool; providing an ergonomic chair for an employee with a back issue, or ergonomic keyboard for one with carpal tunnel syndrome; etc. They key is, the employee must be able to do his/her regular job. The law does not require employers to retain employees who cannot do their jobs, or find new or different jobs for them. So if as a driver who cannot drive, you can be terminated if your employer choose.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption