UPDATED: Apr 25, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption


I was charged with cyberstalking due to things I said on a personal blog. The comments were not about the person who filed the warrant, and I have had no contact via any electronic or physical means with the person other than professional work emails. What recourse do I have?

Asked on April 25, 2009 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I am an attorney in CT who recently dealt with a similar situation involving the internet and charges stemming from cybertalking.  you need to find a criminal lawyer that is familiar with the court that this matter is pending.  The state is going to want to know that there is no reason to worry about this matter any more in order for it to reduce or throw out the charge.   There is nothing you can do at this stage other than obtain a lawyer and show up to court. 


In the case that I had, my client was talking directly about the complaining party.  We spoke to a family relations person at the court (the case involved family members) and the state threw out the charges becasue it was convinced that there were nto going to any further incidents. 

Be patient with the process and hire a lawyer to help you.  This may also have implications with your job however, I do not have enough information about that the guide you further.  Good luck!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption