Cyber bullying and harrassment

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Cyber bullying and harrassment

I am being harassed on facebook and in the
community by an individual who is slandering my
reputation at my place of buisiness. She is
sending me letters to include a full background
check that she took out on me. On FB she is
posting lies about me, information about my
child,pictures of my house,my salary,address
ect. I am very stressed and just want this to
all end. The only thing I did to her was
reprimand her husband because he was not doing
his job and ever since a witch hunt has ensued.
I have decided to leave my job to escape but
she continues to threaten me by calling my new
place of buisiness…this is out of hand. In
the state of Ohio what criminal and Civil
charges can be brought to stop this? I feel
very threatened by her behavior. I don’t want
her money, I just want her stopped.

Asked on March 2, 2018 under Personal Injury, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Actually suing her for money is probably the best way to get her to stop, even if you then settle the case simply with a binding agreement that she cease and dismiss. If she is telling/posting lies about you, that is defamation: sue her for defamation, and then look to settle the case with an agreement to stop.
The problem with going to the police is several-fold:
1) The police often do not take disputes like this seriously and don't act--they are focused on crimes of violence, theft, drug crimes, etc.
2) Much of the information consists of things which is public and which she may post--there is nothing protected about your address, pictures of your home, etc. Anyone who knows or has these may post them.
3) The statutes or ordinances barring harassment of various kinds sometimes require proof of threats or intent to harm, not just annoy--they don't always apply to situations like this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption