If I have insurance on my child, must I disclose this to my ex-wife?

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have insurance on my child, must I disclose this to my ex-wife?

My ex-wife has primary custody but my child doesn’t live with her, instead she lives with her grandmother as I travel out of town for work. I pay my ex child support because the judge said I cannot send it to her grandmother. I also have health insurance on my child but do not want to have this info disclosed to my ex or her mother due to the fact that she has showed up and/or called my former employer and had me terminated. However, I want to use my insurance from my new employer for my daughter’s health care expenses. Can I give insurance info to doctors and keep them from disclosing this information to my ex?

Asked on August 22, 2012 under Family Law, Kentucky


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You can request that your child's treating physicians as a condition of their employment not disclose the fact that you have health insurance for your child. If that is the condition for their employment, then make sure such is in writing since you are taking care of your child support obligations.

If the treating physician discloses the fact that there is health insurance for your daughter paid by you, then such would be a breach of the retention agreement with the physician warranting his or her termination by you.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption