Criminal investigation on the company that prepared my taxes by the IRS for alleged false tax returns.

UPDATED: Jun 22, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 22, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Criminal investigation on the company that prepared my taxes by the IRS for alleged false tax returns.

I have been notified by letter to contact a specific special agent for the IRS. It pertains to them establishing evidence against the company that filed my taxes this year. I am friends with the person who took my information to the CPA. THe question is: Am I obligated to this interview? If I do not honor this interview, am i implicating myself as if I am guilty of something that could possibly result in a warrant, subpena, or indictment for any reason.

Asked on June 22, 2009 under Criminal Law, Georgia


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

If you don't respond, at the very least you will have that IRS agent unhappy with you, and that isn't something I'd choose lightly.  And without quite a bit more information, some of which is probably only known to the IRS right now, it's very hard to rule out the possibility that your refusal to cooperate could be taken as an indication that you were a willing participant in whatever wrongdoing they believe took place.  It might at the very least be an invitation to an audit of your return -- for this year, and perhaps a few past years as well.

Please, before you do anything else, talk to an attorney in your area, who can give you advice you can rely on based on all of the facts available. I think this is urgent, highest priority.  One place to find a lawyer is our website,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption