What happens if a creditor gets a judgment but chooses to sell the judgment amount to second creditor?

UPDATED: Jul 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens if a creditor gets a judgment but chooses to sell the judgment amount to second creditor?

The first creditor was a furniture store that didn’t garnish wages or levy a bank account but sold the debt. Can the new creditor use that judgment with the first creditor to garnish wages or levy debtor’s bank account?

Asked on July 9, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Yes.  Judgment holders/creditors can sell their judgement to an assignee.  That Assignee now is your new creditor.  They have all the rights to collect that the furniture store had.  The law is pretty rediculous in this area, as your defenses against the assignee are even less than those against the original creditor.  The new creditor can get a writ of execution to garnish wages or levy bank accounts.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption