What to do if a credit union doesn’t abid by a divorce decree for a joint debt?

UPDATED: Jun 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 29, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a credit union doesn’t abid by a divorce decree for a joint debt?

My ex-husband and I had a joint account at a credit union for a car, consumer loan and a credit card. In our divorce decree it stated that we both were responsible for 1/2 the debt and he was taking the car and would be 100% responsible for it. I paid my half of the debt and he has now fallen behind once again on his payments. The credit union doesn’t abid by a divorce decree and they are threating to garnish my wages, which puts my employment in jepady due to I have a clearance. What type of order do I need to get to have my name removed from the accounts?

Asked on June 29, 2012 under Family Law, Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You have no recourse against the credit union only your ex husband.  The credit union was not a party to your divorce and is not bound by the divorce agreement or order of the court.  Your recourse is against your ex husband. Get legal help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption