credit card debt question

UPDATED: May 23, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 23, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

credit card debt question

my wife and I have aquired credit card debt through the time of our marriage however the debt is all in her name, We have both agreed to split the debt in half how we will do this is the problem as I can not afforrd to pay a lump sum to her before the divorce. How can this be divided?

Asked on May 23, 2009 under Family Law, Wisconsin


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You should probably have an experienced divorce attorney help you with this, based on all of the facts of your case.  One place to find qualified counsel is our website,

If you've already agreed to split everything 50-50, that's a good start.  There are many ways to make that happen, depending on the complete list of assets and debts.  If you add up all the plusses and minuses, you'll have a marital net worth, and then you look for a way to split up that one list into two, so that each list has the same bottom line at half the original total.

One possibility you might consider, if there's enough trust left between you, is payments over time, after the divorce, as part of a binding contract, since I doubt that the credit card debt has to be paid in one lump sum anyway.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption