What to do if my employer has stopped paying for items it charged on my credit card?

UPDATED: Feb 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 21, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my employer has stopped paying for items it charged on my credit card?

My personal credit card has been used for 6 years by the company I have worked for. The monthly bill has been paid each month by them. Now they cannot pay the bill. All items purchased on the card have been for their profit and sales. What legal right do I have about the $16,000 balance still due on the credit card?

Asked on February 21, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If there was an agreement between you and the company that they would reimburse you for work purchases made on your credit card, that agreement is enforceable; you may sue them to get the money they owe you. An agreement can be found in a document or piece or writing, in an oral agreement, or as demonstrated by a consistent course of action. Therefore, if the company has been paying for 6 years, you would seem to be well able to establish their obligation to reimburse you.

Therefore, as stated, you may sue for the money. You should do so IMMEDIATELY--if the company is truly having money difficulty, the longer you wait, the greater the chance it will go out of business, file for bankruptcy, simply have no money to pay debts, etc.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption