Creating an account in my name without permission

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Creating an account in my name without permission

An account was created in my name without
permission by a natural gas company. I have
called several times asking why it was set up
and how it was allowed and how I can go about
closing it. They refused to let me speak to their
manager. They said it had been cancelled but
now I am being sent bills by them.

Asked on December 26, 2016 under Business Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

1) File a complaint the state agency, the California Public Utilities Commission, which regulates utilities. Here is a helpful link to their webpage:
2) Inform them in writing, sent some way you can prove delivery (e.g. registered mail with delivery confirmation) that you do not owe the money because you never authorized the account, which they are aware of, and that if they continue to attempt to bill you for it, you will treat this as a criminal act (e.g. fraud) and contact the state attorney general and also your local police. Send the letter back to the address you are getting the bills from and also to their main corporate office, attention Legal Department. And if they do continue to try to bill you, contact the AG and police, too.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption