Cracks in poured walls in basement responsibilty of builder?

UPDATED: Apr 10, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 10, 2019Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Cracks in poured walls in basement responsibilty of builder?

Is builder responsible for cracks that appear in basement walls in 1 1/2 year old
build? This is in Grove City, OHIO. Builder is Centex. They said they will only
repair if crackes exceed 1/8 inch.

Asked on April 10, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

They would be responsible for the cracks IF you can show that the cracks were due to negligent or substandard materials, construction, or design. If the builder was not at fault in the cracks--for example, if OH had, like we had in NJ, a particularly long and cold winter with excessive frost heaving, and the walls were properly built but the cracks are due to unually severe or frequent freezing and thawing cycles (or some other cause outside the builder's control: e.g. heavy construction or blasting nearby), the builder would not be liable or financially responsibe. You have to show their fault in some way to hold them liable.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption