Court ruling for 2nd DUI conflicts with DMV requirements.

UPDATED: May 23, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 23, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Court ruling for 2nd DUI conflicts with DMV requirements.

I was convicted of driving under the influence as a minor (16 years old), and few years later at twenty was convicted again. The judge decided to sentence me as a first offender given the fact that my prior occurred before I was 18 and ruled that I must complete a 10-week DUI program. The California DMV, however, is requiring that I complete an 18-month program, as it is my second offense. Is there any way around this? Can DMV requirements for licensure be fought/negotiated at all?

Asked on May 23, 2009 under Criminal Law, California


N. K., Member, Iowa and Illinois Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You may be able to appeal the decision but you should contact the DMV to find out what the requirements for an appeal would be based on your individual situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption