Can I get court ordered alimony if my estranged husband continually doesn’t show up for hearings?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get court ordered alimony if my estranged husband continually doesn’t show up for hearings?

I filed for divorce about 6 months ago. My estranged husband is 64 and lives in

FL. I am 67 and live in NH. My grown son with disabilities lives with me. There has been 3 hearings since June and he didnt show up. He requested a phone conference so he wouldnt have to fly here from FL. At the phone hearing he hung up the phone on the Marital Master. All I want from this man is court ordered spousal support for $900 a month for my disabled son and I. I am low income living on Social Security. The next hearing is 17 days. I am sure he won’t show up again. Will the judge grant me the alimony if he doesn’t show up?

Asked on November 13, 2018 under Family Law, New Hampshire


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

We cannot say that the judge will grant alimony at the next hearing, but we can say that the judge has the power to authority to do so. The law does not let a party deprive the other party of relief or recourse simply by not showing up or not participating; if one party doesn't appear or doesn't participate, the court has the power to decide the case without them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption