court appointed attorney

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

court appointed attorney

I was given a public attorney an
have been to pretrial 4 times an its
been continued each time but my
attorney has not one time talked to
me or even decuss my case with me.
What can I do

Asked on June 17, 2016 under Criminal Law, Arkansas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can request a hearing for substitution of your court appointed counsel. This  means that you can get a different public defender to represent you if you can convince a judge that it is necessary. To seek a hearing for substitution of counsel, you should write a letter to the judge on the case, requesting a meeting with them regarding your attorney. A copy of this request should be in letter form and sent to the lawyer who you want removed and the prosecutor. Make sure both copies and the original (which goes to the judge) are sent via certified mail; you also need to keep a copy for yourself. This letter should state that you want your present lawyer removed from your case and why. You'll need to list the problems that you are having with them. Keep the letter short and to the point; be sure that it is truthful as you do not want to jeopardize your position by stretching the truth.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption