What to do if the County didn’t receive taxes paid to a lawyer at closing?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if the County didn’t receive taxes paid to a lawyer at closing?

I bought a house and went to the seller’s attorney for the closing. I paid my portion of the taxes from 10/31 to the end of the year. The County now says that it never received the taxes for the whole of last year, so I have an accrued an additional charge. Wasn’t the closing attorney supposed to send the money to the county?

Asked on January 8, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the lawyer for malpractice and possibly also for conversion (a form of theft; keeping money entrusted to you, but which is not yours) for not having remitted or turned over the tax payments to the county. You can also seek any additional amounts you were found to have to pay. That is your resourse: to sue the attorney and recover the money from him.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption