What type of lawyer do I need to talk to in reference to my son being bullied in school and nothing is being done about it?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What type of lawyer do I need to talk to in reference to my son being bullied in school and nothing is being done about it?

My son has been harassed for a couple of months in school. At first it was verbal and now it’s physical. I have filled out the bullying form. I have met with teachers and principals and the young man is still assaulting my son. They switched him to another class and he still is putting his hands on him. No one is taking it serious at all.

Asked on June 1, 2017 under Personal Injury, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

An education attorney. There are lawyers who specialize in vindicating students' rights to an education, and who understand the laws governing schools, in-school discrimination and harassment, etc. Such an attorney would likely be your best bet for a case like this. If your son is being bullied due to some specific characteristic (e.g. disability; gender identity; race or religion; etc.) a lawyer who handles those types of discrimination claims would also be a good choice.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption