Could I sue the driver of the vehicle or the owner of the vehicle?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Could I sue the driver of the vehicle or the owner of the vehicle?

I was in an accident on 8/8. The other party’s insurance contacted me on 8/20 and told me they would be keeping in touch with me. I’ve left her voicemails. She hasn’t returned my calls. I just continue to get her voicemail which says,

Asked on August 24, 2019 under Accident Law, South Carolina


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You should sue the registered owner of the vehicle that hit you for negligence. You should also name the driver as a defendant in your lawsuit. Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) are the cost of repairs to your vehicle. The amount of your damages will determine whether you can file your lawsuit in small claims court.
I assume you were not injured in the accident since you did not mention it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption