Could I get a contributing to the delinquency of a minor citation through the mail?

UPDATED: Jul 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Could I get a contributing to the delinquency of a minor citation through the mail?

I have a question about giving alcohol to a minor. I was out buying a pizza and I was approached by a male who told me he was 20 years old. He asked me to buy him a 12 pack of beer and I initially didn’t want to but eventually said yes. Once I gave him the beer he left the parking lot and got pulled over by a police officer as soon as he did. I think it may have been planned. If so, I was wondering what type of trouble I would be in. I’ve never had anything like this happen before; I have a clean record. I was never actually stopped but could they just use my license plate number?

Asked on July 20, 2012 under Criminal Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It is entirely possible that you could be cited for contributing to the delinquency of a minor by mail since you used poor judgment in buying alcohol for an under age person through the mail. The question is how would law enforcement know that you actually bought alcohol for a minor if the minor did not know your name?

Just because your license plate could be tracked by law enforcement to you, such does not necessarily mean that you were driving your car that day and time.

I suggest that you learn from this error in judgment that you made.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption