cops want us to snitch

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

cops want us to snitch

me and my girl got caught with heroin earler today..the cops said they would call us monday…they want us to setup 2 or 3 dope dealers in exchange for our charges dropped. so they say…what should we do?

Asked on May 27, 2009 under Criminal Law, West Virginia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 14 years ago | Contributor

You need to speak with an attorney ASAP. 

Then you and your girlfriend need to make a decision - incarceration or informing  No one can make that decision for you but the attorney can give you information that may help you decide.

Possibly there was some technicality that he could fight your impending drug charges on and he could have them thrown out.  Or maybe if you are both first time offenders and the amount of heroin in question was not substantial the sentence would be minor enough that you would rather take that than becoming an informant. 

If you do end up deciding decide to inform, your attorney will protect your interests there as well.  He can try and negotiate with the prosecutor for immunity for you and or girlfriend or some kind of alternate or reduced sentencing.

Either way you should not speak to the authorities again without getting a lawyer.

If you can't afford one, call the public defender or legal aid.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption