Convert Chapter 13 to Chapter 7

UPDATED: May 24, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 24, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Convert Chapter 13 to Chapter 7

Chapter 13, in a 5 yr plan 23 months paid in good standing.Am now retired drawing Social Security amd some part-time income. Slower economy has also reduced wife’s income.Don’t think Social security is counted in means test. Ia there a chance to convert to Ch. 7 without additional loss of property?

Asked on May 24, 2009 under Bankruptcy Law, Ohio


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

No one would be able to tell you completely unless an attorney sat down with you and your wife, went over your assets, your bills. etc.  Bankruptcy laws have tightened up, as well.

So, it will best if you actually consulted with an attorney in your state.  Try and then check his or her record at the Ohio State Bar.

Remember, when you do consult with a bankruptcy lawyer, make sure you bring all your paperwork, what you owe, what you have paid, your salaries, pay stubs, etc.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption