Contractor – Not finishing the work with quality

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Contractor – Not finishing the work with quality

Hi, I had a contractor install a brick patio nov 2014, he did a decent job but
didn’t finish with quality. As the work was done in fall 2014, he promised via
email to fix it in spring 2015 once it settles down and he has never done it and
no show. He has given 5 year warranty and I do have email confirmation from him
that he will be fixing it. What option do I have to legally take action if he
doesn’t finish the repair by this month? I do have his contract original contract
and emails

Asked on August 10, 2016 under Business Law, Illinois


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the contractor for breach of contract for his failure to complete the work.  Your lawsuit should also include an additional cause of action (claim) for breach of warranty.  If you end up hiring another contractor to complete the work, your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) would include the cost of completion. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption