Can a contract be changed by only one party?

UPDATED: Jan 15, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 15, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a contract be changed by only one party?

I had a contract with a “handyman” to assemble a shed. Stated in contract was that shed was purchased “as is” and had some damaged parts. He had trouble assembling and made 3 trips/attempts. Now he wants to charge me an additional $200 per trip but I was not imformed until after last trip that parts were missing and couldn’t be assembled. I am responsible for paying for 2 extra trips?

Asked on January 15, 2014 under Business Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

A contract may NOT be changed by only one party; a contract may only be changed with the consent or agreement of all parties to it. The handyman could charge you the extra money only if there was some provision for doing so in the contract itself--for example, a provision that you would pay him per trip or for additional time or mileage beyond that initially contemplated. Only if the contract provides a basis for the additional charges would you seem to be liable.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption