Contract breach

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Contract breach

I’m just trying to figure out what my legal responsibilities are about a contract which I was already paid for, the period I was contracted for has expired but the client wants me to make alterations to the work claiming she’s not happy with the results anymore. She was really happy with the work before final payment was rendered. Am I responsible to continue making changes for her until she’s satisfied even though she won’t be paying me extra or covering the expenses.

Asked on December 21, 2016 under Business Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, unless you gave her some sort of guaranty or warranty which she is now exercising, once the work was done and and the client signed off on it (stated it was ok; was "happy with it," as you write), you do not need to make any further changes. You did the work; she approved it; you were done. Once someone acknowledges that the work performed under a contract or agreement (whether written or oral) was adequate, they cannot later change their mind and seek changes or additions.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption