What to do if a devt collector threatened to press criminal charges against me if I did not pay?

UPDATED: Jul 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a devt collector threatened to press criminal charges against me if I did not pay?

They called my family, who called me to let me know. I called them back and they said my husband and I owe for a TV, and gaming system we got from a rental store that we stopped paying. They said if I didn’t make a payment arrangement, they were pressing charges for unlawful criminal possession. I gave them my bank information and set up a payment arrangement. After the call, I checked my credit report, and this debt is not on my report, but is on my husband’s. Now I feel like I am being scammed. I didn’t think collectors could make threats like that. What should I do?

Asked on July 20, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written, the debt collector has violated federal and state unfair debt collection practice laws by threatening a criminal action if you did not pay your alleged debt and contacting family members about the situation.

I suspect you were called by a scammer who now has access to your bank information. I suggest that you immediately contact your bank and close your account before all your money is pulled. If you have had all of your money pulled, I suggest that you contact local law enforcement about the theft.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption