What to do about a lease that may be invalid?

UPDATED: Oct 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a lease that may be invalid?

I am buying a trailer from a neighbor and we have a contract. We are behind on a payment and she is trying to evict us. However, the contracts with the lot office says there is to be no subleasing of property on there lots. So it seems to me that she can not kick us out because the contract with her would be void. Do I have any right to stay in the trailer since we are making the lot payments? We been living here for almost 6 months.

Asked on October 15, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Although the agreement that you have with the neighbor for the trailer that you are buying may not be allowed by the management of the property where the trailer is located, the agreement you have is not void.

If you are buying the trailer from the neighbor, the neighbor cannot kick you out of the mobile home because you are behind on a payment. What the seller can do is sue you for the balance owed or foreclose upon any security for any promissory note concerning your obligation to buy the trailer.

If you are current on the payment to the owner of the area where the mobile home is located for rent of it (or to the person who you are subleasing the space from) there is no basis for you to be evicted. You have every right to stay in the trailer so long as you are current on its rent.

Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption