What to do if my condo association took possession, changed my locks and now I cannot get my possessions?

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my condo association took possession, changed my locks and now I cannot get my possessions?

I own a condo and was recently served papers for non-payment of association fees. The possession went through 3 months go. I have yet to have the sheriff evict me but the condo association changed the locks without my permission. I want to take my possessions out of the condo however I no longer have the keys. What can I do? Should I call the police? I want to take my appliances and the condo management says I must have the reciepts for the property. It is still my condo?

Asked on July 16, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


Terence Fenelon / Law Offices of Terence Fenelon

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Iy is your condo until title legally changes pursuant to a court order.  If you were served with documents, they should have had a case number of a proceeding pending in the county of your residence.  I would advise to quickly check out the court file to determine the evtent of the relief granted to the assocaition and, if appropriate, file a motion for the return of your possession.  You will have to prove ownership.  Many times, condo and the deeds include persoonel property such as stove, fefridgerators, etc.  If the appliances were in the unit when you bought it, they will probably revert to the association.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption