Where can I go to get answers regarding obtaining a conditional license after getting a DUI?

UPDATED: Oct 28, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 28, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Where can I go to get answers regarding obtaining a conditional license after getting a DUI?

I was recently arrested for a DWI, and I’m trying to figure out how to apply for a conditional license so that I can go through the substance abuse assessment and take alcohol counseling classes. I have contacted the DMV, the Sheriff’s Department, and the Clerk of Court, and keep being sent in circles with no answers to what I need to do. Apparently, after 10 days of arrest, I am allowed to apply for this conditional license but my true goal is to take the assessment and counseling in hopes it will appear better to a judge.

Asked on October 28, 2011 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have been arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance but have not been convicted of the charge or plead out to it but want to know how to get a conditional driver's license the best way to get answers to your question of obtaining a conditional driver's license would be through a court order with respect to your arrest.

The court would be able to set a decree allowing you a conditional driver's license or not. Most states automatically suspend a person's driver's license upon an arrest for the offense that you received.

Given the charge against you is a serious one, I recommend that you retain a criminal defense attorney to assist you.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption