Concerning overall hours worked and bona fide meal breaks.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Concerning overall hours worked and bona fide meal breaks.

Hello I reside in Los Angeles,
california and I had a question about
meal breaks. Instead of smaller rest
breaks. The company I work for allows a
bona fide meal break making it unpaid.
However I was wondering that, even
though it’s unpaid, does it still count
towards working an 8 hour shift? That,
or does a full day require an 8 hour
day plus the 30 minute unpaid bona fide
meal break. Thanks in advance

Asked on August 6, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Typically, an unpaid break does not count a towards time worked, that's why it's unpaid. Accordingly, if an unpaid 30 minute break is provided during an 8 hour workday, an employee must overall put in 8 1/2 hours (8 hours paid; 1/2 hour unpaid).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption