What to do about a B1/B2 visa overstay?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a B1/B2 visa overstay?

I am a B1B2 visa holder from Egypt. I visited the U.S. about 13 months ago but left 11 months later. This means that I overstayed by approxiamtely 5 months, bearing in mind that I couldn’t do an extension. If I wish to visit again on next in about 5 months, will my visa still allow me? It’s valid for another 3 years.

Asked on May 10, 2017 under Immigration Law, New York


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Most likely not since you had overstayed.  IF you have overstayed by more than 180 days, then you will likely be barred from reentry for 3 years; if less than 180 days, you will not be barred, but you many have issued in trying to reenter the US if your visa has not yet been revoked.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption