Complicated divorce

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Complicated divorce

My husband kicked me out after I got pregnant with his child. I had to move out of state as I had no where else to go but with family in another state. He refused to help me with the baby. He forced a paternity test. He moved a girl in with him who does drugs regularly. I need to figure out what I can do legally since he has the majority of my stuff and doesn’t support me.

Asked on February 3, 2017 under Family Law, North Carolina


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

There’s no legal requirement that you must use a lawyer to get file for divorce. Youcan get forms online and do it yourself. Further, most states have set up self-service centers that are designed to allow people to file for their own divorces. However, since children are involved, you may want legal counsel. So see if you qualify for legal aid or see if there is a law school close to where you live and check if it runs a free/low cost clinic. Finally, your county/state bar association might have a list of attorenys who take divorce cases for reduced fees, depending on your income and circumstances.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption